1/23/11

TOG Year 4 Week 21

This week we studied Truman's second term, the Korean War, and the Red Scare.  I was very much displeased with how Princess S's book dealt with Joe McCarthy.  To be honest, I felt like it was a bunch of childish name calling.  So I decided to include her in part of my discussion time with Princess E this week.  I won't get into all the details of our discussion, because I don't have the time.  Suffice it to say that it has been proven that McCarthy was correct in his assertion that there have been, and I would argue still are, Communists embedded in our government payrolls.  (That is not to say that his tactics at proving it were the best, nor were his communication skills effective.)  The books assigned to both girls have been written or rewritten since those facts have become known, albeit not published by the Main Street Media, and neither books mentioned that fact one iota.  They left it as McCarthy's assertions were false, and he was simply an evil liar.  That is why I felt it necessary to insert my own set of gathered facts and opinions on the issue.

Princess E - 6th Grade - Dialectic
Latin for Children Primer A: Finish lesson 23 and begin lesson 24
Math-U-See Delta: Continue lesson 30 - went back through as there are several correcctions for the last two lessons that I discovered she didn't make.
IEW: I had the best intentions to do the final draft for lesson 8, but we had an opportunity to go to a local amusement park for free on the day we usually do IEW.  So it didn't happen. 
Foundations 1:  Prefix SUB-
MCT Language Arts:  We didn't do any this week as the two older princesses have been getting ready for a piano recital.  They were required to do some extra practice during our usual time slot for  MCT.
Practice Island: Sentence 31-34
McCrabbs: 31-35
Science:  Our Planet Earth.  Lesson seven and took the first unit quiz.
TOG Yr4 Wk21: Timeline; SAPs; AQ/TQs; Reading - My Side of the Mountain, Joseph StalinL Dictator of the Soviet Union, Mao Zedong's China, Idiot's Guide, Jacob DeShazer.  Read Aloud - The Story of the World, Volume 4; So Far From the Bamboo Grove (we got a little behind so we still need to finish two chapters.)

Princess S - 4th Grade - UG
Growing With Grammar 4: 4.12-4.15
Math-U-See Gamma: Lesson 29 - we still have some corrections and a test to take.
IEW, MCT Language Arts, McCrabbs and Science: same as above
TOG Yr4 Wk21: Quizlet vocab; important people; SAPs; Reading - All the People, The Cold War, Ida Scudder: Healing Bodies, Touching Hearts; her literature book didn't come in from the library in time.  So she got a week off.  Read Aloud - same as above.

Princess L - K - LG
MFW First Grade: Lessons 30-33. (I edited this the morning after posting because I realize I forgot to change this.  We got four lessons in - I was not feeling well on Monday and since Dad was home due to MLK day he took Princess L and Princess M to the zoo instead.)
Math-U-See Primer:  Lesson 29 - begin lesson 30.  We are finishing this up next week.  I may give her a week or two off before starting on Alpha.  I discovered that I already had the first edition of Alpha stored away, and I had bought the second edition of Alpha last year at MACHE.  So I have to decide which way to go with this.  I know they are all the same info, so really it doesn't matter.
Princess L started back to ballet this week and was pleased as punch.  She really loves her God's Praising Princesses class and her teacher Miss Karen.  She can be found often during the day teaching her little sister, or her dolls, or her stuffed animals, or thin air - how to dance and twirl and sing to King Jesus.


Princess M - PreTOGger
Princess M is obsessed with loose teeth.  Since Princess L lost her second top tooth (and fourth tooth overall) right before Christmas, she has to tell me several times a day that she has a loose tooth.  Then she has to wiggle every one to try to find a loose one.  But she also seems to have picked up a habit, when we have our storytimes before her nap, of sucking her pointer finger.  There is a part of me that thinks it's cute and since she's my last baby to let her continue.  At the same time, I don't want to let her get into the bad habit.

No comments: