4/29/11

MFW 1st Grade

I wanted to post a little bit about how we've been using MFW 1st Grade with Princess L.  First, we haven't been using all of it.  We like Math-U-See, so I choose to use that instead of the math activities listed in the teacher's guide.  Second, although I really like all that they use for the Bible portions, it is enough work for us with the Awana verses to learn.  Third, Princess L is the third child and we just don't have time for science.  We have a few science videos and many live action videos about animals.  We have tons of books about scientific subjects.  For me, that is enough at this stage.

What we have used is all of the reading and writing activities.  One thing that I really like about this program is the Bible reader and notebooking.  The Bible has been simplified for these beginning readers based on the phonics rules that have been worked on during the week.  They alternate between a phonics lesson and Bible reading and notebooking.  After Princess L works through the Bible reading, she narrates the story back to me in her own words.  Then we try to come up with a sentence or two that gives the main point of the story.  Her favorite part is making a picture to go with it.  I am including a slide show with her work so far.

1 comment:

Our Family for His Glory said...

I'm so glad you shared! I really like the Bible notebooking idea, & Princess L is doing such a great job!
Jessica