10/3/10

TOG Year 4 Week 8

As we close in on the end of our first quarter, I always take some time to evaluate our year so far.  There are some things working well, some things working not so well, some things that need to change, and some things I just have to push through to the other side.  Our schedule has been adjusted once already, and will probably have to be adjusted again at some point in time.  We are to the point in Latin with Princess E where we are going to slow down.  I am adding in the online resources from Classical Academic Press and it will take a minimum of four days for each lesson.  She will have to take a test on day four which will reveal whether she really knows the material or not.  If she doesn't pull at least 85%, she will have to do some additional worksheets and online practice and take a second quiz before going on.  She is also complaining, once again, that she is behind all her friends in math.  I told her that it is up to her to speed up her pace in math.  I require her to do one practice or review page per day.  She has to pass the test at 85% in order to go to the next lesson.  But she can do more than one practice page per day if she wants to.  Finally, I have decided to get tough about completing certain TOG assignments on time.  Our discussion times keep getting pushed back because of her lack of preparation.  It would be different if she is coming to me on a daily (or hourly) basis while reading and says, "Hey Mom, I don't understand what I'm reading.  Would you help me understand this part?"  But she doesn't.  She barrels through and does a half-baked job at her AQ/TQs and has nothing to contribute to discussion except tears and laments of "But I didn't understand it."  I'm all for helping her - but we've reached the point (since I have other children to work with as well) that she must come to me when she doesn't understand.  Since this is an issue we had last year and has been carried over I decided it is time to nip it in the bud.  (Nip it, nip it, nip it, Andy! - Barney Fife)  If she is not ready for discussion by our scheduled time frame on Wednesdays (illness obviously excepted) then she will not be attending Awana that evening.   This would be devastating to her, so my hope is that this is a threat which should not have to be carried out more than once.

Princess E - 6th Grade - Dialectic
Latin for Children Primer A: This week she went back and did corrections on several pages she had gotten behind on.  She also reviewed a few concepts that were not sticking as well as they should.
Math-U-See Delta: Finish Lesson 23 and start Lesson 24
IEW: We worked on Lesson 4.  They watched the video, did a KWO and first draft for their chosen topic.
Foundations 1:  I just realized I haven't been reporting on her vocabulary program.  It is going well, a bit easy for her, but she is starting to look at some of the prefixes and endings of words that she doesn't understand and uses it to give her a better idea of what the word might mean.  So far she has studied the prefixes over-, under-, out-, and the suffixes -s, -er and -est.
MCT Language Arts:  We reviewed Sentence Island up to the point we stopped at (because I was supposed to complete Grammar Island first.) 
Spelling: We did not get a spelling bee in this week.
Science:  We did lesson 29 this week on the Apollo Program.
TOG Yr4 Wk8: Timeline; SAPs; AQ/TQs; Reading - Eric Liddell, , Idiot's Guide, The Making of Modern Africa (excerpts), Joseph Stalin, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Peter Pan

Princess S - 4th Grade - UG
Growing With Grammar 4: Chapter 2.3 to 2.5
Math-U-See Gamma: She finished the practice worksheets, but I felt that she still needed some more practice before taking the test.  So I printed some worksheets out from the Math-U-See Worksheet Generator
IEW, Spelling and Science: same as above
TOG Yr4 Wk8: Quizlet vocab; important people; SAPs; Reading - War, Peace and All That Jazz, The 1920s, Eric Liddell.  I was supposed to request her lit book from the library but I accidentally ordered the wrong book.  So I gave her a break from literature this week and for this week and next week she is to read a few chapter books of her choice for fun - no worksheets attached!  Don't say I never give her a treat!

Princess L - K - LG
Winter Promise Advanced K: Handwriting practice; Explode the Code - pgs 33-39; Reading - A Cub and Rub-a-Dub Cub; word family -ug and -um.
Math-U-See Primer: She raced through lesson 22 - counting by 5s.
Awana Sparks verses: She finished the verses for R, K and S and earned her rank patch.  She's quite excited to look like an official Sparky now.

Princess M - PreTOGger
Fun and games with big sissies.

1 comment:

Our Family for His Glory said...

Oh, I hope everything works out with Princess E- I could see how that would be challenging!
Looks like you've accomplished a lot- it's hard to believe you are already nearing the end of the first quarter!!
Hope your week goes well!
Everything's working great now! :)
Jessica