8/23/10

Flash Cards - Learning the Skill

Princess L learned how to do flash cards this week. Or should I say, she learned how to do Math flash cards the Math-U-See way.  One of the things that is listed as a goal in Math-U-See is mastery of the facts as demonstrated by completion of flash cards in three seconds or less recall time.  They have an online drill on their website that will show you the time.  But my kids always had issues with adding time while they hunt and peck for the numbers on the key board.  Princess S had issues with flash cards.  She would get lost in what she was doing, and it was very frustrating for both of us.  Since I was forced to improvise I am using some of those lessons learned with Princess L.

First, since she is only in Primer, there is not the requirement to master the facts.  So that isn't our goal yet.  But to make it easier, I only made up cards for the +1 and 1+ facts.  As I learned with Princess S, it is necessary to make both sets of cards.  Even though she could verbalize the fact that in addition you can switch the order, when I only made one set of cards she would get lost on paper when it didn't look the same as the flashcard.  She would have to switch the order either in her head or by physically writing the problem the other way.  And while that is doable, it certainly adds much time to any assignment. 

Next, I had her read the front side of the cards out loud as a sentence.  This helps with the auditory sense processing what they hear.  Then she built the sentence with the math blocks.  This helps with the tactile sense and the visual sense.  Then she figure out the answer.  That was our first time through the blocks.

The next time through the blocks I had her read the front of the card as a sentence and say the answer without using the blocks.  I told her she could read them in "silly" voices.  This helps to break up the monotony and makes it fun!  She had fun coming up with different voices and accents. The next time through I asked her to just give me the answer as quickly as she could.  This is what we did today.

Finally, I will make sure that each answer is given within three seconds.  If it is and is correct she gets to keep the card.  If it is not it goes back in my pile to be reviewed again.  After she displays mastery of the +1 and 1+ facts, then we will move on as the scope and sequence of Math-U-See suggests.  I generally will use the flash cards until she can get the facts we are working on, then add that stack to the review cards and spend time on those.  To my discredit, I did not do that with Princess E, and I believe she has issues with her facts still.  Princess S, due to ADD and SPD, knows her facts well, but cannot always show that she knows them depending on the day, hour, weather, mood, etc.

1 comment:

Our Family for His Glory said...

Good for her!! How exciting to see her learning & growing! :)
Jessica