7/2/08

Why Do I Homeschool?

Since this is a question every homeschooler is asked, I thought I'd answer that here with this list of reasons.
1) The public school system is not set up to help each child reach their full potential. I believe each child has the right to be taught in the way they learn best, even when the method varies from subject to subject. They have the right to do a lesson over if they didn't understand it the first time. They have the right to move ahead faster if they understand the ideas being taught. They have the right to question what they are being taught and to learn the Truth from which ever books can give it.
2) My children are very naive. They will believe pretty much whatever other children, and most adults, tell them. (DH and I seem to be the one exception to that :)) Therefore, it is my job as their parent to filter out the junk, and help them learn how to differentiate the Truth from the lies.
3) I want my children to learn how to think, how to research, how to process information and how to come to their own conclusions. I don't want them to simply spit out information they do not understand, or worse yet goes against their beliefs, simply to get a good grade.
4) I believe that the public schools are no longer trying to teach children how to learn. Their soul purpose is to indoctrinate children into a certain mindset, and there is no tolerance for those who think differently. (An oxy moron as this is what they claim to teach - tolerance of everything.)

Therefore, DH and I believe that for now, as God has enabled us to be able to homeschool, our children are best served at home, where they are loved and trained and taught in the methods God has impressed upon us as the best for them. Methods change, curriculums change but God never changes.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Can I hear an "AMEN!!" for this one! Great post!
This is (some of) why I homeschool:

http://heritage-academy.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-do-you-homeschool.html

Blessings,
Andrea