4/24/10

TOG Y2 W28-31 Princess E

So I'm a bit behind. I'll post each girl separately and try to just hit the highlights.

Latin: Lesson 13.3 to 15.2, Exercise 13.5 to 15.1, Word Power G4 to H4
Math-U-See: Lesson 17 to 19
Literature: Gulliver's Travels and Early Thunder
TOG: vocab, important people copywork, geography study
Reading: The Awakening of Europe (excerpts), This Country of Ours (excerpts), George Washington's World (excerpts), The Struggle for Sea Power (excerpts), America's Paul Revere, Why Not, Lafayette?, Our Living Constitution (excerpts)
Read Aloud: The Story of the World 3 (excerpts), With Pipe, Paddle and Song

With the beginning of week 29, which is the start of our last unit, I am working at moving this princess to the dialectic level. I wanted to get a head start on it so that next fall is not quite so overwhelming. So I added in the AQ and TQ questions. So is to do them in writing, then we have a discussion on Friday. The first two weeks were slow and laborious! I had to have her read a paragraph at a time and have her narrate it back to me in her own words. She doesn't like having to do that, but she was starting to see that the work you put into it does make it easier. I have purposed to find a different dictionary for her. She hates looking up words because the collegiate dictionary I have seems to use even bigger words in their definitions, and the children's dictionary doesn't have many of the words in it to begin with.

Next year we will add in a timeline project, which I have yet to decide on how we will do it. I like the idea of a visual one that can go on a wall, but it isn't very practical to our space. I'm leaning toward getting her an index card holder and having her do cards each week. Then they can be added to and moved around as need be and it won't take as much space. They could also be easily placed in a book some day.

We watched the videos for the first two IEW units. So she worked on doing some KWOs with some paragraphs in her books. We learned quickly that if we do the KWO one day and an oral report the next, the key words that were picked weren't always the best. She didn't really remember what some of them meant. Next year we will be doing SWI-A.

We are nearing the end of the Latin book. Now I need to decide if I want to stick with this series or go another route. Decisions, decisions.

No comments: